Friday, March 21, 2008

YC applications are due - 3 questions to ask yourself

YC applications are due soon! In case you're on the fence, here are some reasons you should join us:

1. Do you love being interviewed? If you're the type of person who's favorite part of a job was the interview process, you should start your own company, because having a startup is like constantly being interviewed, which is fun. Also, many people may know that feeling of excitement and hope when they start a new job - the hope that 'this one will be different'. Well, unfortunately, it probably won't, not unless it's your own company or I guess a very small new startup. (I have no experience with this but I hope it is different since we're going to be hiring soon!) From talking to my friends who have been and are at other big name tech companies, it doesn't sound like my experiences have been unique.

2. Have you ever wanted to do other people's jobs at your company - to get a chance to improve your skills and do stuff you're not already an expert at? At my previous jobs, I was hired to do the thing I was best at. All the stuff I was second best at was done by other people who's jobs it were to just do those things. At a startup, you need to do it all. So you are able to hone ALL your skills, not just those which are already the sharpest.

3. Do you want to really experience a 'fast-paced environment'? When I worked for other people, we always had a ton of work and everyone was always running around like chickens without heads. Still, products took ages to get to market, were always delayed, and always had about 1/10 of the features they were supposed to. So, although I was busy, it felt like progress was slow. When you work for yourself, every single thing your company makes will be made exactly how you want it to be, and the only limit on your pace is yourself.

UPDATE:
I forgot to add my #4 reason - excuse to eat a yummy ramen lunch: Use only about 2 cm of water in a pan, and put in 2 ramen noodles with 1 flavor packet. Put in a bag of baby spinach, or a bushel of kale, and cover to steam the veggies. Finally, mix in an egg. YUM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home